What it is?
DevOps is an integration culture between Development and Operations, aiming that both participate together on the entire software lifecycle (Software Development Life Cycle – SDLC). Some of the main focuses of DevOps: better-quality software, collaboration between Dev and Ops and continuous improvement.
Directly Associated Practices
- Cloud Computing (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Infrastructure as a Code (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack)
- Automated Tests
- Builds and Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Bamboo, CircleCI)
- Continuous Delivery
Indirectly Associated Practices
Some practices that end up also being associated with DevOps:
- Containerization (Docker, RKT)
- Continuous Deployment
What DevOps is NOT?
- A tool or just the practices.
- Just automation.
- Job Title.
- Just about Dev and Ops.
Why to adopt DevOps?
- Continuous and quick Feedback
- Better quality
- More reliable releases
- Shorter TTM (Time-To-Market)
- Better collaboration between teams
- Continuous Learning
- Continuous Improvement
Free Course about DevOps: https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-devops–ud611
Podcast (BR): https://blog.lambda3.com.br/2016/10/podcast-12-devops/
Podcast (EN): https://www.arresteddevops.com/what-is-devops/